English Level 1
Gary Scott Vernier
Institución Universitaria Pascual Bravo
Fondo Editorial Pascual Bravo
Título de la obra:
English Level 1
Gary Scott Vernier
Diseñador e ilustraciones : Sara Montoya Arbelaez
Desarrollo y programación adicional: Sergio Ramírez Álvarez y Ramiro A. Lopera S.
Imagen de portada: Vector de clases de inglés creado por freepik - www.freepik.es
Núcleo del libro interactivo: julio 2022
Fondo Editorial Pascual Bravo
Calle 73 73A-226
PBX: (574) 4480520
Esta obra está bajo una licencia Creative Commons 4.0 internacional: Reconocimiento-No Comercial-Compartir Igual.
Este libro digital interactivo se ha diseñado con fundamento en la filosofía del Proyecto Descartes: "Trabajando altruistamente por la comunidad educativa de la aldea global", que sólo busca desarrollar contenidos educativos para el provecho de la comunidad académica, esperando únicamente como retribución el uso y difusión de estos contenidos. El contenido del libro, al igual que los objetos interactivos se han diseñado de tal forma que se puedan leer en ordenadores y dispositivos móviles sin necesidad de instalar ningún programa o plugin. El libro se puede descargar para su uso en local sin dependencia con la red, a excepción de algunos audios incluidos.
El contenido de este libro se basa en las historias del personaje ficticio llamado Pascualino, con fines didácticos, narrando sus diferentes historias en el diario vivir de un integrante de la Comunidad Académica de la I.U.Pascual Bravo.
Pascualino, his sister Carla, his mother and his father were packing the car for their trip to their annual family reunion.
Everybody was excited. This year the family reunion was going to be at the beach.
“Pascualino. Before you run off and go swimming in the ocean, make sure you say ‘hello’ to all of your relatives,” his mom reminded him as he was getting out of the car.
Pascualino could not wait to swim in the ocean. He loved the ocean. So he started to run all over the beach looking for his relatives.
He spotted his grandparents. “Hi grandma! Hi grandpa!,” shouted Pascualino barely stopping to catch his breath.
Pascualino then saw his aunt and uncle. “Hi uncle Tom! Hi aunt Mary,” yelled Pascualino
Then Pascualino found his crazy cousins. “Hey Brian! Long time no see. Hey Missy, how are you?” Pascualino said.
Pascualino and his cousins started running for the waves!
This was going to be the best family reunion ever!
1. How many brothers does Pascualino have?
2. Where is the family reunion?
3. What did Pascualino do before swimming in the ocean?
4. What did Pascualino want to do?
5. Who did Pascualino say hello to first?
6. Who is Tom?
7. Does Pascualino see his cousin Brian often?
8. What can we assume from this page?
It was finally Saturday! Pascualino was excited because today he was going fishing.
“Fishing is my favorite hobby,” said Pascualino to his sister Carla while they were eating breakfast.
“Fishing, no way!” responded Carla. “Why don’t you have a normal hobby, like reading, playing sports, listening to music or hanging out with you friends at the park?”
But Pascualino loves to fish. He saves all his money from work to buy fishing gear and, most importantly, bait.
Every Saturday Pascualino leaves his house and walks to the lake. On the way, he passes by his neighbors and friends doing their favorite hobbies.
“Hi, Mr. Jones,” yells Pascualino. Mr. Jones loves to work in his garden every Saturday morning.
A lot of people today were riding their bicycles in the park. Hey look, there is Jimmy. “What are you doing?” Pascualino asked him. “I am skateboarding. Check out my new board,” Jimmy tells Pascualino.
As Pascualino walks through town he sees people jogging, working on their car, walking their dogs, shopping, going to the movie theater, listening to music, but nobody else is going fishing.
Pascualino finally arrives at the lake, puts the bait on the hook, and throws his line out into the water. Now he just relaxes and enjoys the peace and quiet of the lake and waits for a fish to bite!
1. Pascualino liked to go fishing during the week.
2. Pascualino could have been eating scrambled eggs and hot chocolate.
3. Carla would probably think going to the movie theater was a normal hobby.
4. Pascualino most likely spends a lot of money on new clothes.
5. Pascualino likes to ride his bike to the lake to fish.
6. Mr. Jones is Pascualino’s neighbor.
7. Jimmy just got a new skateboard.
8. Pascualino notices that a lot of people are going fishing today.
9. Pascualino catches a big fish!
Monday morning! Pascualino’s alarm clock is buzzing. It is 6AM. Time to get up and get ready for school.
Pascualino does not like a messy room, so the first thing he does every morning is to make his bed.
Pascualino loves a hot shower. He takes a shower for 30 minutes! He could live in the shower if it were possible!
After Pascualino is dried off, he puts on his pants and chooses his favorite t-shirt to wear and finally puts on his tennis shoes.
Pascualino is hungry. He heads to the kitchen for breakfast.
Pascualino’s mother has breakfast waiting for him and his sister at the kitchen table.
Pascualino likes to eat scrambled eggs, bacon, toast and hot chocolate for breakfast.
Just one more thing to do! Pascualino goes back to the bathroom and brushes his teeth. Now his is ready to go to school.
Pascualino grabs his backpack, tells his mother and sister goodbye and leaves for school at precisely 7AM.
1. Pascualino’s alarm clock goes off at 5AM every morning.
2. Pascualino probably has dirty clothes scattered on his bedroom floor.
3. Pascualino would probably enjoy soaking in a jacuzzi.
4. Pascualino could wear converse shoes
5. Pascualino probably eats a light breakfast
6. His sister, Carla, probably makes the breakfast.
7. Pascualino typically eats arepas with his breakfast.
8. Pascualino’s teeth are probably clean
9. Pascualino’s first class is at 7AM
Pascualino is going to have a birthday! As a birthday present, he asks his parents to give him a pet.
A few weeks before the big day, Pascualino’s parents tell him that if he wants a pet he is not allowed to choose the pet. Rather, the pet must choose him!
Pascualino is very worried and tells his parents that he might not ever get a pet, but he goes ahead and agrees with his parents.
For two weeks Pascualino tries very hard to convince the animals that live in his village to choose him. Unfortunately, no animal chooses him!
A few days later, however, Pascualino’s luck begins to change. Pascualino is walking home from school and on the path he finds an enormous macaw.
It has the longest, most colorful tail that he has ever seen. Pascualino thinks the bird is beautiful, but notices that it is injured. Pascualino decides to take the bird home and try and help it heal.
After a short time, the gorgeous macaw is better. Everybody in Pascualino’s family starts to call the macaw, Guardian. Pascualino decides that it is time to release Guardian.
Pascualino goes back to the path where he found Guardian and lets him go free. As Pascualino walks back home, he is very sad because he is not going to see Guardian again, but he is also happy because he knows it was the right thing to do.
But when Pascualino gets back home, he has a big surprise. Guardian is there!
So Pascualino takes Guardian back to the same path where he found him and sets him free again. But sure enough, Guardian comes back.
Pascualino’s parents tell him that he finally has a pet! Guardian does not want to live anywhere else but with Pascualino. Guardian chooses Pascualino as his true friend. So Guardian becomes his first pet and best friend.
1. Pascualino might like a dog for his birthday
2. Pascualino’s parents will allow him to get a pet
3. Pascualino is very excited about getting a pet.
4. After 2 weeks, Pascualino finally finds a pet
5. Pascualino is walking to school when he sees a large bird.
6. Pascualino finds a bird that is hurt
7. The name of the Macaw is Guardian
8. Pascualino is sad because he helped Guardian get better.
9. Guardian flies back to his nest and reunites with his family
10. We can assume that Guardian likes Pascualino
11. Pascualino’s parents let Guardian stay at their house.
Pascualino loves Sunday afternoons. His family always goes to their favorite restaurant to eat Sunday dinner!
They always walk from their house down to Junin Street and stroll along the avenue enjoying all of the sights and sounds of the city until they come to La Hacienda.
Pascualino is very worried and tells his parents that he might not ever get a pet, but he goes ahead and agrees with his parents.La Hacienda is their favorite place to eat. They love the traditional Colombian food that La Hacienda prepares.
When they get to their table, the waiter hands them menus. Usually Pascualino orders chicharrones and guandolo.
But today he feels like something new. The waiter comes back to the table and his sister orders first. She orders a cazuela with beans, sweet corn, avocado, potatoes, rice, and of course, an arepa. She has a big appetite!
Next his mom orders. She asks for a traditional fiambre filled with ground beef, sausage, rice, potatoes, fried egg, plantain, avocado and, of course, arepa.
Now it is Pascualino’s turn to order. He orders sudado de Pollo. Chicken cooked in its own juices, yucca, rice, avocado, and of course, an arepa. But today, instead of Guandolo, Pascualino orders fresh squeezed lemonade to drink.
Finally his dad orders. He orders two appetizers for the table: chicharroncitos and empanaditas de iglesia filled with spicy sausage and potatoes and served with avocados and, of course, arepas!
Everyone is stuffed! They love traditional Colombian food and they think there is no place better than La Hacienda to enjoy a family meal on Sunday afternoon!
1. Pascualino’s family likes to eat out on Sundays.
2. Pascualino’s family usually takes a taxi to La Hacienda
3. Pascualino’s family would probably rather eat tacos than sancocho
4. The menus are on the table when Pascualino’s family sits down.
5. Carla, Pascualino’s sister, probably ate really big breakfast.
6. It would probably be pretty easy to find fiambre in the United States
7. Pascualino appears to like natural fruit juices
8. Everybody in Pascualino’s family is going to eat some of the food that Pascualino’s father ordered
9. We can probably assume that Pascualino order ice cream for dessert.
“101 degree temperature,” said Pascualino’s mom. “You can’t go outside and play today. You have to stay in bed all day!”
Pascualino was sick. But he did not understand it. He never gets sick.
Pascualino wondered to himself how this could happen. He eats very healthy. He does not drink soda pop. He does not eat sugar or junk food.
Pascualino always eats fruits and vegetables and grains.
Pascualino is also very active. He exercises and plays sports.
And Pascualino always goes to bed early. He does not stay up late at night watching TV or playing on the computer.
Just last month Pascualino went to the doctor’s office for his yearly physical and he was in perfect health.
“Oh well,” Pascualino said. Sometimes, even if you do everything your suppose to, you still get sick.
So while all of his friends were outside playing in the sunshine, Pascualino was in bed recovering from his fever.
1. Pascualino has a high fever
2. We can assume that Pascualino probably never misses a day of school
3. We can assume that Pascualino loves Coca Cola
4. Pascualino eats lots of beans and rice
5. Pascualino probably watches a lot of TV
6. Pascualino chats with his friends on WhatsApp all night long
7. Pascualino gets a medical check up once a year
8. Pascualino does not know why or how he got sick
9. All of Pascualino’s friends were also sick in bed
Pascualino is very excited! His class is going to visit Parque Explora today.
Pascualino likes to visit different places in his hometown of Medellin.
Last week Pascualino visited El Pueblito Paisa with his family. They had a lot of fun learning about Paisa culture.
Pascualino can tell you all about his city. He likes to go to the stadium to play sports and watch soccer matches.
On the weekends, Pascualino likes to go to Cine Colombia and watch movies with his friends.
Last year with his class, they went to the zoo. Pascualino likes to see the animals in the zoo. He especially likes the elephants.
Pascualino also likes to ride the cable car to Parque Arvi. He likes nature and loves to hike in the park.
“Have a good time,” his mother yells to Pascualino as he leaves for school.
But when Pascualino gets back home, he has a big surprise. Guardian is there!“I will,” Pascualino shouts back. Pascualino can’t wait to visit Parque Explora and especially the Aquarium.
1. Pascualino’s family is going to Parque Explora
2. Pascualino usually goes to the same places all the time.
3. E Pueblito Paisa is a good place to learn about Culture in Antioquia
4. Pascualino knows a lot about Medellin.
5. On Sunday, you can probably find Pascualino watching a movie at home with his friends
6. Pascualino’s favorite animal are elephants
7. Pascualino usually rides his mountain bike to Parque Arvi
8. Pascualino’s mother wants her son to have fun
9. Pascualino is excited about his day
Pascualino is really late! Pascualino is supposed to meet his friends at the Los Molinos Mall at noon. He only has 15 minutes to get there.
Pascualino usually takes the bus and the metro to get around the city, but today he needs a taxi
“Hello,” says Pascualino as he gets into the taxi. “Please take me to Los Molinos Mall in Belen.”
“I’m sorry,” responds the taxi driver. “I’m new to Medellin and I don’t know how to get there. I need you to please give me directions.”
“First, go straight 4 blocks until you come to Avenida San Juan. At the light, turn right onto San Juan and go straight until you get to La Regional.”
“Take La Regional south and exit on Calle 30 to the right.”
“Go Straight on Calle 30 until you come to La 80 and Los molinos will be on the right hand side of the street 1 block passed La 80.”
“Do you understand the directions?” Pascualino asks the taxi driver. “Yes!” says the taxi driver.
Luckily for Pascualino, there is not much traffic on the roads today and he arrives just in time to meet his friends at the mall.
1. Pascualino has plenty of time to get Los Molinos Mall.
2. Pascualino normally rides the bus.
3. Los Molinos Mall is in Belen.
4. The taxi driver knows the way to Los Molinos Mall.
5. Pascualino tells the taxi driver to turn left at San Juan.
6. The taxi driver needs to get off the Regional at Calle 30.
7. Los Molinos Mall is one block away from La 80.
8. The taxi driver did not understand the directions.
9. There is a lot of traffic on the roads.
Pascualino loves to play sports. His favorite place to play sports is the sports complex next to his house.
Today Pascualino is going to start his sports day by going swimming. He used to take swimming lessons when he was younger and now he is a good swimmer.
After swimming, Pascualino meets his friend, Roger, and they have a tennis match. It is a close match, but Pascualino wins 6-4.
Next, Pascualino goes to the gym to play basketball. There are a lot of other people there playing basketball and he joins them to play a game. Pascualino is not very good at basketball, but he thinks it is really fun.
Now Pascualino needs a break. He goes over to the snack bar and buys a Gatorade and bananas. He likes to eat fruit while he is playing sports because it gives him energy.
Pascualino sees one of his friends, Jason. “Hi Jason!” says Pascualino. “What are you doing?” he asks. “I’m going rollerblading. Do you want to join me?” Jason asks. “OK, sounds fun,” says Pascualino.
After rollerblading, Pascualino wants to play soccer. He goes over to the soccer field and practices dribbling the ball with his feet and scoring goals.
Finally, Pascualino ends his day playing sports by playing baseball. He practices hitting baseballs, but it is very hard for Pascualino! He needs a lot more practice.
It was a good day for Pascualino. He played a lot of sports. Now he is going home very tired and hungry. Pascualino wonders what his mom will have waiting for dinner!
1. Pascualino enjoys athletics.
2. Pascualino takes swimming lessons.
3. The tennis match is easy for Pascualino to win.
4. Pascualino is not a good basketball player.
5. Fruit gives Pascualino the energy he needs to play sports.
6. Pascualino invites his friend, Jason, to go rollerblading.
7. Pascualino plays in a soccer match.
8. Pascualino has a difficult time hitting baseballs.
9. Playing sports gets Pascualino hungry.
Pascualino can’t wait. His family is taking a trip to San Andres. Pascualino has never flown before. It will be his first time.
At the airport, Pascualino checks his luggage in and then shows his ID at the security checkpoint and goes with his family to the waiting area until it is time to board the plane. While he waits, he goes to the souvenir shop and buys a chocolate bar and a can of Sprite.
Pascualino boards the plane and has a window seat. After take off, Pascualino can see for miles and miles out of his window. He thinks it is really fun! The stewardess asks Pascualino if he would like a snack. She gives Pascualino peanuts and pretzels to eat. He has never eaten pretzels before. They are good!
Once they land in San Andres, a taxi takes Pascualino and his family to their hotel. It is right on the beach! The room is big with a large balcony overlooking the sea.
Pascualino’s family booked a tour of the island from one of the local tour companies. Pascualino gets on the bus and the tour guide welcomes everyone to San Andres. They visit the “Hoyo Soplador,” Captain Morgan’s Cave, “La Piscinita,” and West End. They learn the history of the island and see some interesting places.
When the tour is over, Pascualino heads back to the hotel. He is starving! His family goes to the restaurant in the hotel for the buffet dinner. All you can eat! Pascualino eats and eats and eats. He is stuffed!
The next day, Pascualino and his family spend all day at the beach. Pascualino looks for sea shells and builds sand castles and swims in the ocean. Pascualino loves the beach.
On the last day, Pascualino rents a jet ski and rides the jet ski all over the sea. He even lets his little sister ride on the back with him. They both like to go fast on the jet ski!
Sadly, it was time to go home. Pascualino’s family checks out of the hotel and boards the plane to return to Medellin. At the airport in Medellin, the get their luggage and take a taxi back home. It was a great vacation!
1. Pascualino has flown many times before his trip to San Andres.
2. Pascualino buys some snacks while he waits to board his flight.
3. Pascualino sits in an aisle seat for his flight to San Andres.
4. Pascualino needs to take a taxi from his hotel in San Andres to get to the beach.
5. Pascualino learns about San Andres by renting a scooter and exploring on his own.
6. Pascualino thinks the portions of food at the restaurant he eats at are not very big.
7. Pascualino enjoys collecting shells on the beach.
8. Pascualino’s sister, Carla, likes to get a lot of speed on the jet ski.
9. Pascualino is glad when it is time to fly back home to Medellín.
At school today, the teacher asks everyone in the class to write about what they want to be when they grow up and explain why. Pascualino has never really thought about that before, so he thinks it will be interesting.
Pascualino first thinks about his father and his job. Pascualino’s father is a contractor. It is his job to plan and construct big buildings where people live. Pascualino thinks that job might be fun, be he is not quite sure.
Next Pascualino thinks about his mother. Pascualino’s mother is a dentist. Pascualino does not want to be a dentist. He does not like the idea of putting his hands in someone else’s mouth!
Maybe he could be a taxi driver. That could be fun, he thought. He would get to meet new people from all over the world and help them get to their destinations safely.
What about a chef, he next thought. I like food and it would be fun to learn how to cook and make delicious food for everyone.
Or how about a teacher. Pascualino likes school and he likes to learn. He could help students learn. His aunt was a teacher and she really liked her job.
Pascualino thought about what he liked to do and remembered he liked to paint. Maybe he could be an artist, He likes nature, also. Maybe he could paint landscapes.
Finally, Pascualino thought about being a policeman. He would get to help everyone in his community be safe. And Pascualino really likes the idea of getting to wear a uniform. That would be the perfect job for me, thought Pascualino.
Pascualino finished his assignment and turned his work into his teacher. When his teacher read all of the answers to the class, Policeman was the number 1 choice! Pascualino and five other classmates said they wanted to be Policemen when they grow up!
1. Pascualino thinks his homework assignment is boring.
2. Pascualino’s father is a general contractor.
3. Pascualino’s mother is a dental assistant.
4. Pascualino thinks he might enjoy being a taxi driver.
5. Pascualino thinks that it requires a lot of work to be a chef.
6. Pascualino’s uncle is a school teacher.
7. One of Pascualino’s hobbies is to paint.
8. Pascualino thinks wearing a uniform would be “cool.”
9. Pascualino was the only student who wanted to be a police officer.